Thursday 24 January 2008

Never say die

Taking £350 out of my Sky Poker account seemed to jinx me. I left £300 in, but a 10 pm tonight that was down to £3. The problem has been that although my tournament luck (or judgment?) has improved, with three money finishes in the last few days, they've been peanuts compared to the spondulicks I've been donating on the cash tables. Not wanting to reload, I've moved back down to the 50p tables and fought to get my float back in three figures.

Well, tonight after just failing to recoup my tenner in the Open, I put down my "last" £30 on a cash table. Fifteen minutes later my last £3 was in the middle with J9 and a 78A flop. My instinct was that no-one had an ace, so my draw wasn't too bad, but there were two callers. The ten came on 4th street... :-)

And guess what: 45 minutes later I was sitting there with £70. I played well, avoiding the temptation to be reckless. It would be so nice to have been down to £3 and then to build a few hundred quid out of it. I did have to close my eyes and push at one point. I had 44, the flop came Q86 but no-one bet. So I pushed, and somehow the fish who called missed everything.

The table was very fishy, which helps! Maybe I should've stayed on longer, but my luck could've changed, I know. Fish can catch! Luckily they didn't on my two double-ups. On the first one, I limped with AJ, the flop came AT9 - two diamonds - and the guy on my left called my all-in on 4th street (a 7). The river was a diamond but the guy must've had something like JT or ace-rag (or JQ?? - some people call with all kinds of mad draws).

Then the same guy called me again when I went all-in on 4th street. This time the board showed 339T, two spades. The river was a ten and my pocket kings held up. If I'm going to be generous I could put him on queens or jacks. (I was slightly worried he had 99.) But maybe he only had a flush draw!

No comments: