Thursday 10 January 2008

Poker v Scrabble

Because I've spent the evening playing poker, when I sat down to write a blog post about a Scrabble tourney I've just been to (as a spectator) I found myself comparing it with poker tourneys. One important difference is I don't fancy eating a dictionary, which is what most of those guys have had to do in order to play at the top level. That's one of the great things about poker: anyone with an average IQ can learn to play it well in a few hours, or at least well enough to be able to win a few cash pots or get a money finish in a tournament.

A bit of a flat evening, pokerwise. I came in the money in the Velocity, but the tourney was spoilt by a system crash at Sky which meant that most of the players (i.e. the ones playing through their TV boxes) got cut off. So coming in the money wasn't much of an achievement! (Though I did already have a healthy stack when the crash happened...) Meanwhile, even though the tourneys were continuing, it appears that the live TV show couldn't show any of the action. Not sure why not - I wouldn't have thought that the two systems were connected.

No comments: